Oct 17, 2008

What to look for in a good Dual Sport Jacket

the Belstaff Che Guevarra



the Belstaff XL 500 - a classic adventure/enduro jacket


here's a recent email that i sent to a friend asking for advice on what kind of jacket to buy:

Well.......i have several jackets. The best of which is my old Malcolm Smith Jacket that I wore last night, but....Thor makes a great jacket as does Acerbis, Moose, Fieldsheer, Belstaff etc. They're all pretty good.
If you want a good warm weather jacket then you're looking for tight wrists and a high cinchable neck. I often ride with a balaclava in the winter that tucks into the jacket. The shift pants that I'm using now are great, fox sucks. I have lined Carharts that work great and actually a highneck carhart jacket would be great, but I havn't found one, not only that I don't think you would find a water proff one.

there's some great gear at Cycle Gear, and great prices. I think Wayne at cycle salvage has used gear and you might find some kind of KRyptO enduro jacket like the one i got on ebay for $45.

Pads vs. NO Pads
a lot of jackets that are coming out have elbow and shoulder pads and armor inserts in the chest making a chest protector a thing of the past. But, you can't wear that big padded jacket on Spring mornings when you need to peel. The jacket is too big to put in a pack. That's another consideration, can you put it in a pack? i like packable jackets and a big pack for long rides - I have a better time when i know i brought the garage with me (extra coolant and oil, food, parts, tools, tubes, extra gloves, first aid, tow straps).

Lots of Pockets
you need pockets man - no zippers, they don't work in the dirt, period. velcro only, snaps rust and break.

good pants should last two years, a good jacket should be handed down to your kids.
The Belstaff Steve Mcqueen Replica

No comments:

Post a Comment